Last week we were gifted with a bunch of fresh beetroot, so set about learning how to roast these ruby orbs and transform them into a delicious side dish.
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC or 180o C fan forced.
2. Wash beetroots to remove dirt and pat dry.
3. Cut away the leaves, making sure to leave at least 2.5 centimetres of the stalk. Do not cut off the roots.
4. Place the beetroots in a large roasting pan and drizzle with the olive oil. Roll the beetroots in the oil to make sure they are well covered, then sprinkle with sea salt and thyme.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to45 minutes or until the beets are soft but not shrunken. Remove the pan from the oven and leave the beets to cool.
6. Once cooled, rub the skin away with a paper towel. If desired, wear a pair of rubber gloves when you do this to prevent your hands from turning red. Cut off the root and stalks.
7. Chop the beetroots or leave whole. Add a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle more salt and thyme if you like. Serve and enjoy.
Sign up now for the latest news from the Hawkesbury area direct to your inbox.